You never know what’s going to pop up on eBay. Like this rare find-a previously unassembled (and never assembled) Chevrolet aluminum small-block Hemi V8.A similar 302-cid Chevy engine is part of the Smith Collection “Museum of Speed” in Lincoln, Neb. It has hemispherical combustion chamber heads by Leo Lyons., fuel injection and a magneto. These engines were built to compete at drag strips and circle tracks. Bill Smith got his from Mauri Rose, who had planned to run it in the Indianapolis 500.
The Lyons’ 350-cid engine listed on eBay was recently found in storage, where it had been since the early 1980s. “You will never find another one of these in this condition, if you can find one at all,” wrote the seller.
The eBay offering included everything needed to assemble a one-of-a-kind engine, except the main bearings, rod bearings and gaskets. The engine could be set up for a four-barrel carburetor or fuel injection. Both set ups were included in the online auction.
“Put this in your project car and you will have people flocking to get a look at it,” said the auction listing. “I have talked to people with over 100 years of engine experience, including hot-rodders, race-engine builders and street-engine builders, and they have never seen anything like it.”
The auction claimed to include documentation with the engine and the seller even offered to send a sample of some of the scanned documentation to seriously interested parties.’ He said he also had many pictures.
[infobox color=light grey]The online auction included:
• Donovan small-block Chevy 350 aluminum block
• 4-bolt mains with No. 0015 cam bearings installed
• One pair of small-block Chevy Hemi aluminum heads complete with valve train components (A-356 Prime at T-6 with heat treat)
• Donavan intake and exhaust valves, one pair of copper head gaskets
• One complete set (10) of Arias forged racing pistons 4.00 with wristpins and buttons
• One set of Speed Pro rings 4.00
• One set of Carillo Rods with de-burred corners on the caps for bolt clearance (and shot peened caps)
• One No. 4340 Billet steel crankshaft (Moldex) with a 3.625-in. stroke and knife-cut edges
• Iskendarian camshaft with reverse-rotation distributor and cam gears
• One complete set of Iskendarian roller tappets
• A set of 4130 steel push rods (heat treated, and hard chromed)
• Mackay water pump
• Two aluminum water outlets
• Aviad dry sump pump and drive, a Harrison oil cooler
• Aviad Metal Products custom dry sump oil pan
• Complete set matching pulleys
• Timing chain cover
• Complete set of head bolts
• Valve covers with gaskets
• One pair of top-mounted Offenhauser breathers
• Eight high-performance spark plug wires and eight aluminum spark plug carriers aluminum
• One set of plastic spark plug insulator tubes
• Aluminum valley cover plate
• Enderle fuel injection intake and one Leo Lyons carburetor intake[/infobox]
Starting bid on eBay for the engine was $30,000, but shipping was free. The seller was located in White River Junction, Vermont. [inpost_gallery thumb_width=”200″ thumb_height=”200″ post_id=”89518″ thumb_margin_left=”0″ thumb_margin_bottom=”0″ thumb_border_radius=”2″ thumb_shadow=”0 1px 4px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2)” js_play_delay=”3000″ id=”” random=”0″ group=”0″ border=”” type=”yoxview” show_in_popup=”0″ album_cover=”” album_cover_width=”200″ album_cover_height=”200″ popup_width=”800″ popup_max_height=”600″ popup_title=”Gallery” sc_id=”sc1407418549951″]