Mecum Auctions’ 2014 Dallas collector car auction held this past weekend at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center brought $31.4 million in total sales with 766 of 1,155 cars hammering sold. In only its fourth year, Mecum’s Dallas auction has become one of the largest sales on the Mecum Auctions’ calendar with results that continue to surpass expectations serving as a solid indicator of the event’s certain growth and sustained success.
The auction’s top seller was a 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot S108.1) that hammered at $680,000. One of only two 1969 L88 convertibles finished in black-on-black, this race car disguised as a production vehicle was ordered new by renowned L88 racer Tony DeLorenzo adding to the significance and desirability of this already spectacular car.
Following the L88, two Camaros claimed spots two and three in top sales with the first Camaro delivered to Yenko Chevrolet (Lot S114) gaveling at $300,000 and a Gold Spinner Award-wining 1969 Yenko (Lot S91.1) achieving a sale price of $285,000. The top 10 was also dominated by Ford GTs, which have become a market favorite in recent years. Three 2005s and one 2006 made the list all hammering at well over a quarter-million dollars.
The complete top 10 sales at Mecum’s Dallas auction includes (all individual sales reflect hammer prices):
- 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot S108.1) at $680,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Lot S114) at $300,000
- 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S91.1) at $285,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot F192.1) at $280,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S136.1) at $270,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot S129.1) at $260,000
- 2006 Ford GT (Lot S224) at $255,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot S172) at $255,000
- 1971 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (Lot S100) at $250,000
- 2013 McLaren MP4-12C Spyder (Lot F140.1) at $215,000
Mecum’s next auction will be Oct. 9-11 with the 2014 Chicago auction featuring 1,000 classic and collector cars headlined by an exceptional mix of American muscle and more at the Schaumburg Convention Center. Following Chicago will be Mecum’s SoCal auction in Anaheim, Calif., Nov. 13-15 with an anticipated 750 cars to be offered including some of the finest hot rods and collector cars that Southern California has to offer.
For more info: www.mecum.com.