“The volume of consigned cars greatly exceeded our expectations for the inaugural Mecum Austin Auction, which resulted in a fantastic finish to a record year for Mecum Auctions,” said President and Founder Dana Mecum. “With more than 2,100 registered bidders and 10,000 energetic spectators, these stats are a testament to the strength of the collector car market in Austin and the state of Texas as a whole. The year 2014 was a banner year for growth and achievement for our company, and with big plans for 2015, we’re excited to continue raising the bar.”
Individual sales in Austin were topped by a one-owner 2006 Ford GT (Lot S99.1) with 267 miles that brought a $310,000 high bid. Other notable sales included a four-speed 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S125) that gaveled at $275,000, a 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro(Lot S95.1) that brought $170,000 and an unrestored 1967 Mercury R-Code Comet (Lot S98) with just 2,004 miles that hammered at $169,000. A 2005 Ford GT (Lot S166.1) sold for $269,000 and a truly stunning and excellently executed 1955 Chevrolet 3100 Resto Mod pickup (Lot S106) brought $142,500.
The complete top 10 sales at Mecum’s Austin auction includes (all individual sales reflect hammer prices):
- 2006 Ford GT (Lot S99.1) at $310,000
- 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (LotS125) at $275,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot S166.1) at $269,000
- 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S95.1) at $170,000
- 1967 Mercury Comet 202 Sedan (Lot S98) at $169,000
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot F156.1) at $165,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 (Lot S111) at $145,000
- 1955 Chevrolet 3100 Resto Mod (Lot S106) at $142,500
- 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Fastback (Lot F252) at $127,500
- 1955 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster (Lot S116.1) at $125,000
Mecum will kick off 2015 with 750 vintage and antique motorcycles to be offered at the 24thannual Las Vegas Motorcycle Auction Jan. 8-10, followed by the world’s largest collector car auction in Kissimmee, Fla., Jan. 16-25 with 3,000 vehicles expected to cross the auction block at Osceola Heritage Park. For more information: Mecum.com.