With known ownership history since new, this Short Nose was restored in 1999 to as-original specifications with a 3.3-liter engine and a five-speed gearbox. With a stunning Rosso Corso exterior and two-tone tan leather interior, the Ferrari’s excellent presentation earned it a Silver award in Class 3 when it was shown at the Ferrari Club of America National Concours. The remainder of the top 10 sales list reflected the variety of makes that was represented at the auction with Porsche, Plymouth, Buick, Cadillac and more making the cut including all three Ford GTs that crossed the auction block falling in line as second, third and fourth in top sales. In all, eighteen cars broke six-figures with examples from nearly every category of automotive collectability.
Other event highlights included Matt Farah of the popular TV show “Drive” on NBCSN joining Mecum’s live announce team on Saturday for a special guest appearance. Team members from The Anaheim Ducks also came by on Thursday of the auction to take in the action. Ducks’ captain Ryan Getzlaf spent time on the microphone announcing upcoming lots and also presented Dana and Frank Mecum with official team jerseys with “Dealmakers” embroidered on the backs as a way of welcoming Mecum back to the SoCal city of Anaheim.
The complete top 10 sales at Mecum’s Anaheim auction includes (all individual sales reflect hammer prices):
- 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Short Nose (Lot S166.1) at $2,150,000
- 2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition (Lot S155.1) at $375,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot S101.1) at $340,000
- 2005 Ford GT (Lot S106.1) at $250,000
- 1953 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Lot S137) at $210,000
- 1994 Porsche 911 Speedster (Lot S117.1) at $175,000
- 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible (Lot S117) at $132,500
- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Lot S96) at $127,500
- 1963 Volkswagen 23 Window Microbus (Lot S180.1) at $125,000
- 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Convertible (Lot S126) at $122,500
Mecum’s next auction will be in Kansas City, Mo., Dec. 4-6 with an anticipated 750 classic and collector cars to be offered at Bartle Hall in the Kansas City Convention Center. For more info: www.mecum.com.