Considered by many to be the finest, most diverse single collection of American-made machines, the E.J. Collection featured production years ranging from 1903 to 1991. Several of his motorcycles had ownership history with actor Steve McQueen, and even more of them were ultra-rare vintage and antique originals. Of the motorcycles offered, 23 sold for $100,000 or more, and the average sale price overall was more than $50,000 each. Top sales were claimed by the ex-Steve McQueen 1915 Cyclone Board Track Racer (Lot S57) – one of just 13 believed to exist and the only one with McQueen ties – which hammered at $775,000, and a rare and unrestored 1907 Harley-Davidson Strap Tank (Lot S62) gaveling at $650,000. Both sales made these motorcycles two of the most expensive motorcycles ever sold at auction.
E.J. Cole, of Houston, was present at the event and was actively engaged with the nearly 1,000 bidders and spectators in attendance. “Mr. Cole and his collection were inspirational to the audience of true collectors that attended this auction,” said Ron Christenson, the president of Mecum Auctions’ MidAmerica Motorcycle division. “These world-record sales represent more than just a transfer of ownership. Mr. Cole is revered for assembling pieces of mechanical history, and this past weekend, motorcycle collectors experienced a once-in-a-lifetime event with their sale.”
The complete top 10 sales at the E.J. Cole Collection Auction include (all individual sales reflect hammer prices):
1. 1915 Cyclone Board Track Racer Ex-Steve McQueen (Lot S57) at $775,000
2. 1907 Harley-Davidson Strap Tank (Lot S62) at $650,000
3. 1911 Flying Merkel Board Track Racer (Lot S79) at $385,000
4. 1942 Crocker V Twin Big Tank (Lot S69) at $350,000
5. 1928 Indian Altoona Hillclimber (Lot S93) at $225,000
6. 1912 Harley-Davidson Model 8A Twin (Lot S127) at $215,000
7. 1912 Henderson 4 (Lot S121) at $205,000
8. 1917 Henderson 4 Ex-Steve McQueen (Lot S95) at $190,000
9. 1930 Harley-Davidson Factory Hillclimber (Lot S92) at $165,000
10. 1907 Indian Tri-Car with Sedan Chair (Lot S67) at $165,000
For more information: Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.